Employer : Ministry of Transport, Government of Vietnam
Location : Da Nang City, Vietnam
Da Nang Port comprises four (4) commercial ports, Tien Sa Port, Song Han Port, My Khe Port, and Lien Chieu Port in central region of Vietnam. Upon the request of the Government of Vietnam (GOV), the Government of Japan (GOJ) has conducted "Study on Port Development Plan in Key Area of Central Region of Vietnam" from 1997 to 1998, to formulate a master plan for Chan May, Lien Chieu and Dung Quat Ports selected by GOV. At that time, Tien Sa Port was considered to be the gateway port in ADB's study on East-West Transport Corridor from north Thailand to central Vietnam through Laos, and the port was excluded from the GOJ's study. However, the ADB study was suspended at the stage of interim report. To supplement and consolidate various previous studies by ADB and GOJ for development of overall Da Nang Port including Tien Sa Port, Special Assistance for Project Formation (SAPROF) Study for Da Nang Port Project was conducted by the GOJ in 1998. The study identified the necessity for phased expansion of Tien Sa Port to cope with anticipated increase in future cargo throughput in Da Nang Port. Japanese ODA Loan Agreement was concluded between the GOJ and GOV in 1999, to cover the costs of construction works, equipment procurement, and consulting services required for the project. JPC has performed its engineering and supervisory services for the project as Prime Consultant.
Major port facilities and equipment provided under the project include :
- Port basin (deepened);
- Breakwater (450 m long);
- Pier Nos. 1 and 2 (each 11 m deep, 186 m long) (repaired and remodeled to container piers);
- Container yard (34,500 m²);
- CFS (2,000 m²) and other port buildings;
- Access road (upgraded for distance of 12.3 km);
- Tuyen Son Bridge (530 m long) and its approaches (1,540 m long) linking the access road;
- Da Nang Bypass (18 km long);
- Infrastructure for resettlement area;
- Quayside container crane (1 unit);
- Transfer cranes (2 units) and other container handling equipment; and
- Container yard operation computer system.